The future plan of Leisure and Knowledge for Texel has to be applied in harmony with the culture and mentality of the inhabitants so as to embrace it and contribute to its further development. This means new initiatives shouldn't change the identity of Texel and its inhabitants. It also shouldn't scare off tourists, which are a main source of income for the Texelaars. To achieve this each initiative will have to be checked for the expected impact on the culture and identity.
The aim is to develop and promote the sustainable concept of the island and contribute to its economy in the same time. The overall program of development includes four main steps/actions. Each one will be analyzed for the technologies, the actors and the interrelation between them and with the existing situation. Every action needs more or less effort to be implemented, fact that can form a complete time schedule for the overall Texel’s development program.
Texel is currently preferable for quiet vacations close to nature. We want to highlight this fact by actions that will give to tourists more fun, without disturbing the local people. More specifically and in accordance with our research question and ambitions, the actions of the program are:
1. Creation of the “sustainable route”
2. Active role of schools
3. Make all businesses sustainable
4. Creation of the “Center of Innovation”
Few more details about the actions to be taken:
1. The sustainable route is quiet easy to develop. It needs programming and designing of the whole route and the different stops as well, but it is based on simple techniques and technologies. It works as a game with the actors playing and learning. The route has to go all around the island and through the stops/points of interest the players will collect hints to form a complete story about sustainability and the local techniques.
2. Schools are the center of education. Through the classes and educational excursions, the pupils will be able to learn from an early age how to behave and protect the environment.
3. In accordance with the sustainable character of the island, the businesses have to move towards this direction and renovate the buildings, recycle their waste and follow some guidance and consultancy.
4. Nowadays, the island has three centers of interest; the city center, the touristic area of De Koog with the beaches and the lighthouse (see picture). Our main goal is to create a fourth center; the ‘Center of Innovation’, which will be of main importance for the economy and the character of the island.
All these different actions have to be combined not only by creating one program, but also by connecting them with paths and routes.
Last but not least, the time is very important when designing a strategy. As we can see from the picture below, the four actions are integrated in a unified program, where as we move from step 1 to 4, we need more time for programming, testing and evaluating. The sustainable route needs the least time and effort, while the creation of the center of innovation needs the most as it involves the design and construction of a whole building complex as well as its operational strategy.
The combination of these four principles will result in a more sustainable leisure industry, while providing knowledge regarding the changes toward a more sustainable Texel. The route is an interactive (and low cost) way, focusing on tourism, to spread related knowledge. It also includes the Center of Innovation, which will become a major part in delivering and researching 'knowledge' about sustainable Texel.
The schools will provide the pupils of Texel with a solid base regarding sustainable Texel, the importance of it and a certain level of understanding about the subject.
Finally the current leisure activities will undergo certain structural changes, where possible, to provide for more energy neutral leisure activities. Not only will this result in a contribution of a sustainable Texel, but the lower energy consumption and waste production will affect the entrepreneurs in their wallet, positively. Last but not least, it will be another selling point of the industry, giving it advantages over competition and providing the opportunity for free advertisement in (local) news.